The following table shows my best attempt at a correspondence between the 12 Steps and the Beatitudes. The correspondence is not exact, but it is still helpful, I believe.
1) Admit you are powerless.
2) Come to believe in a higher Power.
3) Make a decision to turn your will and your life over to God.
|a) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matt. 5:3)|
4) Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourself.
|b) Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted. (Matt. 5.4)|
5) Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
|c) Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth. (Matt. 5:5)|
Step 6 & 7:
|d) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled. (Matt. 5:6)|
|Steps 8 & 9:
8) Make a list of all the people we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
9) Made direct amends wherever possible.
|e) Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy. (Matt. 5:7)|
|Steps 10 & 11:
10) Continued to take personal inventory.
11) Sought through prayer and meditation to improve conscious contact with God.
|f) Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. (Matt. 5:8)|
12) Sought to carry this message to others and practice these principles in all our affairs.
|g) Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called children of God. (Matt. 5:9)|
|h) Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. (Matt. 5:10)|